When people ask me what my home town is I’m always a little baffled. Do I tell them the town in New Brunswick where I was born, or the town near Toronto where I lived as a kid? I generally opt for the town I lived in in high school, where my parents still live. I don’t get out to St. Catharines as much as I used to. The 9 hour drive is quite long for two small kids. I’m fortunate my boss allowed me to have a vacation with part-time working remotely so my kids can spend time with their grandparents during the day.
For today’s Thinking Out Loud Thursday I figured I would document some observations I have about coming home.
- After so many years away, I appreciate Niagara Falls more than when I could visit it at any time. When I come up here I always try to drive by at least once. We tried to visit on Tuesday night, but we arrived right before the nightly fireworks and the place was a zoo. I’m glad Niagara Falls tourism is doing so well.
- I ended up painting Niagara Falls this week. My brother’s girlfriend and I met up and had a blast doing Paint Nite. I’m pretty happy with the results.
- Traffic has changed dramatically. I went to Port Dalhousie to take the kids to the Carousel (still only $0.05!) and we got stuck in traffic on our way back to Power Glen.
- Maybe the traffic is related to the fact that subdivisions are being crammed into every available space.
- Farm space increasingly is taken over by vineyards. I swear they are spreading.
- I’m very impressed with the park improvements and the increase in trail networks I have seen in the area. I visited Ball’s Falls Conservation area today and it took my breath away.
- I always want to meet up with old friends while in town and never seem to find the time. Thank goodness I see a little glimpse of their lives on Facebook.
- I scanned a bunch of old pictures from my parents house with my phone. I used Google Photo Scan. It was pretty easy to use and removed the glare. I’m sure the image quality won’t be great, but it meets my needs.
- I have not gone downtown. I’m sure it continues to evolve.
How often do you go back “home”? Does it change between visits?